Welcome to Crestwood School
Lorraine Bailey, Superintendent
Danette Young, Principal
The District is proud of it rich history and student accomplishments as it offers a well-rounded quality education to students of all abilities.
Community Unit School District No. 4 is the home of the Crestwood Eagles and the Paris Unit 4 High School Tigers. The school currently houses 500 pre-kindergarten through eighth grade students with 220 high school students attending Paris High School.
The district is pleased to announce that Crestwood Elementary is the only school in the area to receive a rating of 9 out of 10 from the website www.greaterschools.org. This is a website that compares schools in each state throughout the U.S. based upon factors including test scores. Everyone is proud of the accomplishments of the students, staff, and parents for making Crestwood such an outstanding school!
While the school ranks high academically, this is only one factor contributing to the success of students. This past year, the Crestwood Eagles brought home five state trophies. This is a new record for a single year for the school. The Girls’ Softball Team took 4th place in its first trip ever to the state tournament while 7th Grade Volleyball took 3rd State and 8th Grade Volleyball secured 2nd State. The Cheerleaders took State Runner Up in their division and the 7th Grade Boys’ Track Team finished the year by securing a 3rd place State trophy overall and the title of State Champs for the 7th Grade Boys’ Relay Team. It is through the talent and hard work of coaches, players, and parents that events like this occur.
The school was recently notified that it is a PBIS Platinum School for the second year in a row for its implementation in a school-wide discipline program of Positive Behavior Intervention System. Crestwood is one of only forty-one schools in the state to accomplish this level of recognition placing it in the top 9% of schools statewide for excellent discipline. Way to go Eagles!
A main focus for Crestwood during the 2016-2017 school year will be looking toward STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) activities. A new math series was implemented last year in K-8 that contains many online components. The school will be in its third year of implementing one-to-one digital laptops for every 8th grader. In addition, the district partnered with Lake Land College to obtain sixteen robotics kits to use with students and is hopeful to partner with the Edgar County Community Foundation to expand the program.
In addition to the emphasis on STEM, the transitioning to Common Core Standards and using assessments and data to drive instruction at all grade levels remains a priority as well as keeping the reading program in full swing.
Crestwood School offers a well-rounded, quality educational program as evidenced by both data and several recognition awards.
· A strong reading program at the primary level with 100% of kindergarten students meeting all end of year reading benchmarks
· 92% of all K-2 students met the end of the year reading benchmarks
· Only 1 of 41 schools in Illinois and the only school in area to achieve PBIS Platinum School status
· Ecology Team – 3rd place in Shelbyville Eco Meet 2015 and again in 2016
· Scholastic Bowl Team - 6 trips to state finals with most recent 2nd State 2010
· National Board Certified Teachers
· ThinkPad laptop for every 8th grader
Crestwood School annually coordinates many successful educational events and activities such as Pioneer Days, Learning Fair, Reading Challenges, classroom projects, field trips, and grade level music programs. The school also offers a variety of extra-curricular activities for student participation in which much success has been obtained over the years.
· Girls’ Volleyball – 2nd State 2016 in 8th and 3rd State 2016 for 7th; 2nd State 2015 and 4th State 2007
· Boys’ Baseball - 2nd State 2013
· Girls’ Softball – 4th State 2015
· Girls’ Basketball - State appearance 2014, 9 State Champion titles, record holder for the most state appearances, the most wins at state tournaments, and the most state tournament titles
· Boys’ Basketball - State appearance 2014 and State Champions 2005
· Cheerleading – 2nd State in 2016; State Champions 2010
· Boys’ Track – 3rd State 2016 with 11 individual medalists including State Champion Relay Team; 3rd State 2004 while breaking two state tournament records
· Girls’ Track – 2 individual medalists 2016
· Art Club
· Jr. High Musical – “Little Mermaid Jr.” that literally wowed the audience
· Science Club - Annual overnight cave camping trip to Blue Springs Cavern
· Yearbook Club
· Student Council
· Bus Patrol
The district is excited about the opening of its new high school this past year. Among other things, the new building features a strong technology infrastructure, two STEM labs, a professional theatre, and collegiate-style cafeteria and library. The building project is a venture between two districts and is the first of its kind in the state of Illinois.
With its small family-like atmosphere and caring, dedicated staff, Crestwood School is a great place to receive an education. Please view the website for more details about the district and recent school events.